Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What's for Dinner Wednesday?

I am inspired today. It’s Wednesday! I’ve read all my food sections. And I am preparing to cook dinner.

On the menu:
Beef Tips, Mushrooms, Garlic and Thyme
Steamed Broccoli with real butter
Cornbread (I’m a Jiffy girl)
Macerated Strawberries & Blueberries with homemade whipped cream served on a shortbread tart (tarts compliments of whole foods)


I went to Costco this past weekend. I really like the variety the offered. Plenty of organics and specialty food items. In my never-ending quest to answer the age-old question “what’s for dinner” they provide plenty of delicious quick fix solutions.

What makes Costco fabulous? They sell their culinary magazines at a 30% discount. BTW-is cheaper than Wal-Mart (only 20%). I am a huge fan of the PSB series American’s Test Kitchen. These are the same folks that publish Cook’s Illustrated.
If you live in Baltimore, it’s aired 4pm on Saturdays and 3:30 on Sundays. They also have a magazine of Fast and Fresh recipes (which I purchased). Most are of the 30 minute Rachel Ray variety. Surprisingly, they are pretty doable in a fair amount of time. It took me longer than 30 minutes but I didn't mind too much.

Beef Tips with Mushrooms, Garlic and Thyme
(Adapted from: America's Test Kitchen Fast and Fresh Recipe Card Collection)

Notes: I added more garlic. I used dried thyme. I added only 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. I cooked my meat longer by adding it to the sauce and simmering for 10 mins or so. I served this dish with brown rice and a side of steamed broccoli.

Serves 4
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
10 oz white mushrooms (sliced halved or quartered)
4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
salt and pepper
¼ cup brandy
¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tsp of chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1Tbsp-unsalted butter

HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in skillet.

COOK mushrooms until brown (about 5-6 mins)

ADD garlic (cook until garlic is browned and crisp; careful not to burn)

Remove garlic and mushrooms from skillet and set aside

Return skillet to heat

HEAT 2 tablespoons of oil

SEASON beef with salt & pepper

PLACE beef into pan so that pieces don’t touch

REDUCE heat to medium; cook until browned (about 3-5 minutes on each side)

TRANSFER beef to platter; tent loosely with foil

COMBINE brandy, broth, thyme and mushroom mixture to skillet

SIMMER until thickened (about 5-7 minutes)

ADD accumulated beef juices back to skillet

WHISK in mustard and butter

Optional (add more seasonings to taste)

Pour mushroom sauce over meat

No comments: